Monday, June 16, 2014

Checklists

I realize I'm going to be late and scramble to find my shoes. After loading Will and his equipment in the car, I do a mental checklist.

Oxygen tank and tubing, check.

Feeding pump and extra bag, check.

Wipes, diapers, bum cream, suctioning, extra milk... check.

Monitor, check.

Gauze, Q-tips, meds and syringes, check.

Extra outfits, extra blanket (blow-out is inevitable), check.

Sanitizer, binky wipes, binky, check.

Ok, I think I'm ready. Oh wait, I forgot his G tube extension.

I dash back into the house, seal the tube in a baggie, and head to Mary Bridge Health Center.

Today I have appointment with Will's GI and pulmonary doctors. I'm anxious to see what they both have to say.

Will has been having troubles with a lot of bile in his tummy, resulting in a lot of green goo flowing from his mouth and nose, resulting in troubles with breathing, resulting in lots of coaxing to get his fragile lungs to cooperate. Not to mention the pain that all of this causes him. Bile in the throat is NOT comfortable.

It is so difficult for me to watch him struggle. But I know these experiences will make me stronger and more compassionate. I have to keep reminding myself of this each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment