Monday, January 20, 2014

Strong-willed Warrior

Will means a "strong-willed warrior". Can any name be more perfect for my little man?

Hearing his cry at birth is one of my most cherished moments. It pierced right through to my soul.

Fast forward two weeks.

Tonight, Tyler and I sat next to Will's tiny frame and marveled at his perfectly shaped fingers. Will held my finger tightly as he continues to cling to life.

The Doctor explained again some of Will's problems he is dealing with.

He has been battling Pulmonary Interstitial Emphysema in one lung, and the other lung is having a hard time staying inflated. Both lungs have fluid in them. He also has Patent Ductus Arteriosus in his heart. These two things alone are actually fairly common in premature babies. But in Will's case, the PDA is causing his lungs to have more fluid in them. Will also has what appears to be a hemorrhage near one of the ventricles in his brain. The ventricles are also measuring big. The medication used to help the PDA can cause the hemorrhage to worsen. But the doctors don't really have a choice.

Will just finished the round of medication for the PDA in hopes to help the lungs at well. We found out tonight that the medication closed the PDA by 40%! The doctors seemed pleased.

Now is the waiting game. We need the little man to gain weight and get stronger.

Before Tyler and I left tonight, we held hands and said a prayer. I felt a peace wash over me and we pleaded, yet again, for our Heavenly Father to protect Will through the night while we are gone. I know the nurses take good care of him, but I love knowing he has angels standing watch as well.

Good night, my sweet one. Keep being my strong-willed warrior.

6 comments:

  1. So glad you are doing updates on your blog...we'll continue prays for this strong little man, and for your family. You're such a great example of faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We pray for you and Will all the time. Hang in there my resilient friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to think of angels watching over him as you leave…I am praying for him also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are all praying for your little warrior every day here. I think I'll add a prayer for extra angels to watch over all of you. May his warrior heart heal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im so touched! What a little fighter! I love you Krista! Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! So grateful for all your love and support.

    ReplyDelete